Papers of Kenneth Hince, 1782-2012 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Hince, Kenneth
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 4.77 m. (24 boxes) + 4 archives boxes + 1 medium folio box.
The collection consists of files relating mainly to Hince's work as a music critic in the last thirty years. It includes scores, printed material, ephemera, files and music group discussions notes, plus correspondence, correspondence, both business and private, copies of Hince's own letters, letters from readers, composers, musicians, conductors and musicologists, typescripts of Hince's manuscripts on musicians, papers relating to his music collecting and his judging of music competitions, notes of interviews with notable composers, and substantial files on the ABC, The Age and the Australian. Also included are invitations to review performances, biographical information on performers, tickets, reviews of performances for both The Age and the Australian, record and book reviews, articles for publishing, and a variety of printed material.
Kenneth Hince, one of Australia's leading dealers in rare and old books, and for many years a music critic for major newspapers, was born in 1926. He studied Medicine and Arts at the University of Melbourne and served in the Royal Australian Air Force and taught languages at Xavier College, Melbourne, before opening his bookshop in Melbourne in 1960. He began his long and successful career as critic the following year, serving as music critic on the Bulletin (1961-64), Australian, (1967-77), and The Age (1977-94).
- Manuscript reference: MS 6566.
- Related Material:
- Other papers of Kenneth Hince are held by National Library of Australia at MS 2691.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in Special Collections Reading Room and online.
- Time Coverage:
- Music critics.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Preventive conservation : basic conservation techniques / by John Davies
- Archivkunde : ein Beitrag zur Theorie und Geschichte des Europaischen Archivwesens / von A.Brenneke; bearbeitet nach Vorlesungsnachschriften und Nachlasspapieren und erganzt von W. Leesch
- Zhong wen dang an guan li xue / bian zhu zhe Wang Zheng
- Archival documents : providing accountability through recordkeeping / editors, Sue McKemmish & Frank Upward
- Lezioni di archivistica / Arnoldo D'Addario