The Australian national dictionary : Australian words and their origins / edited by Bruce Moore ; associate editors: Mark Gwynn, Amanda Laugesen, Julia Robinson, at the Australian National Dictionary Centre
- Bib ID:
- Second edition.
- South Melbourne, Victoria Oxford University Press, 2016
- 2 volumes (xx, 1-912 ; xiv, 913-1864 pages) : maps ; 29 cm
- 9780195550269 (hardback)
The Australian National Dictionary (AND) is a dictionary of Australianisms. It includes words and meanings that have originated in Australia, that have a greater currency within Australia than elsewhere, or that have a special significance in Australian history. Whereas the first edition of the dictionary, published in 1988, contained about 10,000 headwords, compounds, idioms, and derivatives, this second edition contains over 16,000. The AND differs from general dictionaries in being based on historical principles, in the manner of the comprehensive Oxford English Dictionary (OED). The aim of AND2 is to chart the historical development of Australian words the definitions begin with the oldest sense and move through to the most recent sense. As part of this history, it includes all obsolete words and all obsolete senses; because it is concerned with the complete history of a word, the historical dictionary places more emphasis on the etymology of a word than does the general dictionary.
- In two volumes: A-L and M-Z.
- Contains listing of Aboriginal languages (volume 1: page xvi-xx ; volume 2: x-xii) with a map detailing the locations of these languages.
- National Library's SR copy is a presentation copy in a slip case.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other authors/contributors:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The Australian Oxford Dictionary / edited by Bruce Moore at the Australian National Dictionary Centre
- The Concise Australian national dictionary / edited by Joan Hughes
- Australian slang dictionary
- Macquarie : Australia's national dictionary
- The Australian concise Oxford dictionary / edited by Bruce Moore