Japanese Confucianism : a cultural history / Kiri Paramore
- Bib ID:
- Paramore, Kiri, author
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2016
- xix, 231 pages ; 24 cm.
- 9781107058651 (hardback)
- 1107058651 (hardback)
- 9781107635685 (paperback)
- 1107635683 (paperback)
- New approaches to Asian history ; 14.
"For more than 1500 years, Confucianism has played a major role in shaping Japan's history - from the formation of the first Japanese states during the first millennium AD, to Japan's modernization in the nineteenth century, to World War II and its still unresolved legacies across East Asia today. In an illuminating and provocative new study, Kiri Paramore analyses the dynamic history of Japanese Confucianism, revealing its many cultural manifestations, as religion and as a political tool, and as social capital and public discourse, as well as its role in international relations and statecraft. The book demonstrates the processes through which Confucianism was historically linked to other phenomenon, such as the rise of modern science and East Asian liberalism. In doing so, it offers new perspectives on the sociology of Confucianism and its impact on society, culture and politics across East Asia, past and present"--
"The book demonstrates the processes through which Confucianism was historically linked to other phenomenon, such as the rise of modern science and East Asian liberalism. In doing so it offers new perspectives on the sociology of Confucianism and its impact on society, culture and politics across East Asia, past and present"--
- Full contents:
- Machine generated contents note: Introduction; 1. Confucianism as cultural capital: mid-first millennium AD
- late sixteenth century AD; 2. Confucianism as religion, 1580s-1720s; 3. Confucianism as public sphere, 1720s-1868; 4. Confucianism as knowledge, 1400s-1800s; 5. Confucianism as liberalism, 1850s-1890s; 6. Confucianism as Fascism, 1868-1945; 7. Confucianism as taboo, 1945-2015.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.