On the edge : religious freedom and persecution across Asia / [edited by] Michael Kelly SJ
- Bib ID:
- Hindmarsh, SA : ATF Asia an imprint of the ATF Press, 2016
- xviii, 93 pages ; 24 cm
- 9781925371116 (hardback)
- 9781925371109 (paperback)
Asia as a continent accounts for half the world’s population. Within its boundaries, there is an incomparable diversity of cultures, socio-economic standards and political structures. And all the world’s major religions―Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and Christianity―have their origins in Asia. Little wonder that religion is always involved in the flash points that occur across the region. Religious freedom and religious persecution know no boundaries and are alive and well in all their complexions from Korea in the north to Indonesia in the south, from the Philippines in the east to Pakistan in the west. And UCAN has reporters and analysts across Asia’s full extent. We have brought our unique network to the task of examining and the evaluating the prospects for religious freedom and the causes of religious persecution in Asia. As rational beings, we humans actualize our highest capacity when we make choices. For that exercise we need freedom. At the heart of all freedoms―political, economic and cultural especially―is the freedom to believe. Religious freedom is the fundamental freedom. Belief and its restriction attack the heart of freedom. But the circumstances and conditions of religious freedom and the persecution of believers vary greatly across the continent. The range and reach of those circumstances and conditions across Asia are what this volume offers.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Kelly, Michael 1953 January 16-, author
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Overseas Chinese business networks in Asia / East Asia Analytical Unit
- Cosmopolitan Asia : littoral epistemologies of the global South / edited by Sharmani Patricia Gabriel and Fernando Rosa ; with a foreword by Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak
- Taking aim : Asian management breakthroughs / Dean de la Paz, editor
- Business leaders and leadership in Asia / Ying Zhu, Shuang Ren, Ngan Collins and Malcolm Warner
- Globalizing Asian religions : management and marketing / edited by Wendy Smith, Hirochika Nakamaki, Louella Matsunaga, and Tamasin Ramsay