Papers of John Hopkins, approximately 1950-2013
- Bib ID:
- Hopkins, John, 1927-2013
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- [between approximately 1950 and 2013]
- 2.7 m (9 boxes) + 3 medium folio boxes.
Papers relating to conductor and musicologist John Raymond Hopkins AM OBE, including correspondence; press clippings; scores; personal diaries; Victoria College of the Arts teaching programs; personal reflections on the music industry in Australia; and a school report.
British-born conductor and musicologist John Raymond Hopkins was born in Yorkshire in 1927. In 1949 he became assistant conductor of the BBC Scottish Orchestra, and in 1952 he was appointed conductor of the BBC Northern Orchestra. He moved to New Zealand in 1957 to succeed James Robertson as conductor of the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra. During this time he founded the New Zealand National Youth Orchestra. Hopkins arrived in Australia in 1963 to become Federal Director of Music for the Australian Broadcasting Commission, a job he held for ten years. While at the ABC he brought the music of Australian composers such as Peter Sculthorpe, Nigel Butterley and Richard Meale to national attention, commissioning 23 new Australian works for the opening of the Sydney Opera House in 1973, and premiering Sculthorpe’s opera Rites of Passage in 1974. He left the ABC in 1974 to become the inaugural Dean of the School of Music at the Victorian College of the Arts. Hopkins went on to become Director of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, 1986-1991. During his later years he was Professor of Conducting at the University of Melbourne and was still guest conducting with community and youth orchestras up until his death in 2013.
- Manuscript reference number: MS 10271.
- Related Material:
- John Hopkins interviewed by David Pear; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 5308.
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of John Hopkins' copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.