Stanton Welch interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Welch, Stanton, 1969-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research; written permission required for personal copies and public use during the lifetime of the interviewee.
- 1995 Aug. 28
- 1 digital audio tape (ca. 57 min.)
Welch speaks of his current commission with the San Francisco Ballet as a choreographer, the difficulties in a dancer's life to maintain outside interests and find inspiration for original projects, how ballet expanded, not restricted, his dance repertoire, his memories of his parent's performances with Ballet Victoria, his exposure to different choreographers while in the Australian Ballet which served as his apprenticeship as a choreographer, what constitutes his particular style as a choreographer, his aim to enhance the style of individual dancers, his belief that ballet is not defined by classical movements, how he copes with his critics and the tendency of local critics to be too personal and parochial, discusses his production Divergence, how he casts his ballets, his experience of working in America with the San Francisco Ballet, discusses his version of Madame Butterfly, his approach to the choreographic process, his youthfulness as a choreographer, his early student pieces, discusses the role that Maina Gielgud has played in his career, discusses his productions Corroboree and Of Blessed Memory, as well as his family life and hopes for the future.
Stanton Welch is a dancer and choreographer.
- Recorded on Aug. 28, 1995 in Melbourne.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Summary available (1 p.) and corrected transcript (typescript, 25 leaves)
- Other authors/contributors:
- Potter, Michelle, 1944-, interviewer
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2065 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.