Henry Bland interviewed by Mel Pratt for the Mel Pratt collection [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Bland, Henry, Sir, 1909-1997, interviewee
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 4 sound tape reels (708 min.) : analog, 1 7/8 ips, mono. : 5 in.
- Mel Pratt collection.
Sir Henry, former Secretary, Dept. of Defence, talks of his early life in Sydney; London during World War II; Wurth; Post War Reconstruction; industrial relations; migrants; reorganisation of the Dept of Labour; unemployment benefits; CES; re-settlement of ex-service personnel; placement of migrants; legislation; industrial relations system; communists; Arbitration Court; Canberra; dismissal of underachievers; Communist Party Dissolution Bill; Albert Monk; Australian Mission, Berlin; C Series index; National Service Act; Conciliation and Arbitration Commission; Commonwealth Industrial Court; apprenticeships; adult training schemes; Papua New Guinea pay rates; relations with Asia; Lee Kuan Yew; Harold Holt; Bill McMahon; stevedoring industry problems; Post Office; Pilots; ILO conferences; equal pay; aboriginal pay and benefits; manpower; Teheran; qualifications of Service personnel; relations between civilians and Service personnel; restructure of the Defence Dept; NASA at Houston; hospitals; 5 year rolling program; Chiefs of Staff; Alan Fairhall; F111; relations with the US; relations with Malaysia and Singapore; the Opposition involvement in Defence policy; US bases in Australia; Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty; his resignation from Defence; Malcolm Fraser; Tange's appointment; staffing; activities after leaving Defence; his knighthood; Whitlam's appointment of permanent heads; review of the Commonwealth Public Service; Whitlam's dismissal; Administrative Review Committee; Coombes Commission; his appointment to the ABC; Alvin Purple; ABC objectives; Radio Australia; ABC guidelines on programming; news; current affairs; music; ethnic broadcasting; financial constraints; staff ceilings; costs; Green Inquiry; industrial action; his resignation; activities since retirement; building their home at Burradoo.
Sir Henry Bland was Secretary of the Dept. of Defence from 1967-1970 and Chairman of the ABC in 1976.
- Transcript includes written notes prepared and added to the original after the interview was held.
- Recorded on Jan. 8-10, 1975 in Melbourne, Vic.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-221566571
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary and uncorrected transcript (typescript, 156 leaves).
- Other authors/contributors:
- Pratt, Mel, -1986, interviewee
- Related Records:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2045 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Mel Pratt collection [sound recording]
- Arthur Coles interviewed by Mel Pratt for the Mel Pratt collection [sound recording]
- Alexander Welch interviewed by Mel Pratt for the Mel Pratt collection [sound recording]
- Henry Bolte interviewed by Mel Pratt for the Mel Pratt collection [sound recording]
- David Fairbairn interviewed by Mel Pratt for the Mel Pratt collection [sound recording]