Tales by Japanese soldiers of the Burma Campaign 1942-1945 / Kazuo Tamayama and John Nunneley
- Bib ID:
- Tamayama, Kazuo
- Related Online Resources:
- Publisher description
- London : Cassell ; New York : Distributed in the United States by Sterling Publishing, 2000
- 254 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
"Over 305,000 Japanese soldiers fought in Burma between 1942 and 1945: 180,000 of them died. This book tells how the common soldier of the Imperial Japanese Army lived, fought and died in that terrible conflict. Here are straightforward accounts, sometimes moving, often shocking, of what it was like to fight a strange war in a strange country, far from home, short of food and weapons, confused, facing death from disease and starvation as well as enemy action." "Sixty-two 'tales', translated from the Japanese, trace the Burma campaign in chronological sequence and together offer a new perspective on a terrible war. Japanese soldiers, navy men, fighter pilots, and others were from a different culture, certainly, but they were not the devils of popular legend. Just like their enemies, they were frightened young men, fighting to the death a war they did not understand.".
"The Japanese are notoriously reticent about their involvement in the Second World War, and no similar volume has ever before been published, either in Japanese or English. Now, for the first time, the ordinary Japanese soldier tells his story."--BOOK JACKET.
- Translated from the Japanese.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Nunneley, John
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Jigoku no sensha gundan
- Nihonhei no hanashi : Biruma sensen, senjō no shinjitsu / Tamayama Kazuo, Jon Nannerī cho ; Kigyō OB Pen Kurabu yaku
- Building the Burma-Thailand Railway : an epic of World War II 1942-43 : tales by Japanese Army engineers / Kazuo Tamayama
- Higeki no senjō : Biruma senki
- Se maṅʻʺ nhaṅʻʹ lakʻ tacʻ kamʻʺ ʾa lui / Oda Atsumi ; Rai Mra Lvaṅʻ bhā sā pranʻ