[Design for a map cartouche by Pieter Janszoon]
- Bib ID:
- Janszoon, Pieter, 1602?-1672, artist
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- 1 drawing : pencil, ink, white and grey wash on paper ; 20.1 x 36.7 cm
- Title from acquisition documentation.
- Unpublished engraving by Pieter Jansz for Joan Blaeu wall map, Archipelagus Orientalis, sive Asiaticus.
- Within the cartouche the spice islands are represented in character form giving up their riches. There are exchanges between local kingdoms and Dutch figures in the foreground, presided over by a goddess-figure representing the Republic who holds symbols of power and navigation. She is shaded by a servant or slave and surrounded by produce and livestock, and on the cushion in the foreground a curved sword is laid, signifying loyalty.
- Indentation marks indicate possibility of stylus for transfer of image to copperplate. On verso are remnant mark charcoal or graphite marks, indicating application of a medium used in the transfer onto copperplate to facilitiate the engraving process. Includes watermark, 'Foolscap', 1658.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-698612586
- Cartouches, Ornamental (Decorative arts) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800
- Other authors/contributors:
- Blaeu, Joan, 1596-1673. Archipelagus Orientalis, sive Asiaticus
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Essaï sur les travaux publics [electronic resource] / par J. Le Scène Desmaisons
- Step by step to Microsoft Works / by Jill Luha
- Public works in their international aspect / J.E. Meade ; with an introduction by H.B. Butler
- Public works policy
- International economic development, public works and other problems