Living and loving in diversity : an anthology of Australian multicultural queer adventures / Australian LGBTIQ Multicultural Council (AGMC) ; chief editor, Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli
- Bib ID:
- Mile End, South Australia : Wakefield Press, 2018
- xix, 349 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 24 cm
- 9781743055953 (paperback)
Sad and funny, sexy and sensitive, angry and insightful: the deeply personal stories in this book reflect a rainbow of experiences and emotions, as diverse as the storytellers themselves. Join chief editor Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli and the Australian LGBTIQ Multicultural Council for a journey of discovery through queer multicultural multifaith Australia, with more than sixty voices from across the spectrum of sexualities and genders, families and relationships. Annette Xiberras, lesbian Wurundjeri Elder with a Maltese father, provides a Welcome to Book and insights into her Indigenous-migrant family. Filmmakers Tony Ayres and Franco Di Chiera share their experiences telling stories from minority cultures on Australian screens, while Benjamin Law talks queer Asian-Australian identity, and making The Family Law for SBS. Broadcaster Faustina Agolley talks about being 'out' as a woman of colour, and Anton Enus tells us about coming out as a 'coloured' gay man in South Africa. Entertainer Paul Capsis reflects on doing Cabaret in the age of Trump while Asiel Adan talks about non-binary gender across the US border in Mexico. Meanwhile, Christos Tsiolkas imagines Ari, the protagonist of his iconic novel Loaded, now middle-aged, during a weekend of mass violence in distant Paris, while Patrick Abboud travels the world so he can come home. Alyena Mohummadally searches for reconciliation between her queer and Muslim identities and Tony Briffa shares a personal story of growing up with intersex variations and the rigidity of Western medicine.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 344-349).
- Sexual minority community -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Sexual minorities -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Sexual orientation -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Gay men -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Lesbians -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Bisexuals -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Transgender people -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Gender-nonconforming people -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Intersex people -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Sexual minorities' writings, Australian
- Australian literature -- 21st century
- Other authors/contributors:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Naked : confessions of adultery and infidelity / edited by Kylie Ladd & Leigh Langtree
- Whales, parades, electricity / The Chicken Collective
- Undying passion : a book of anecdotes about men, women, love, sex, and the literary life / [selected by] Joseph R. Orgel
- Fair go, sport : inspiring and uplifting tales of good folks, great sportsmanship and fair play / Peter FitzSimons
- From outside the closet : stories of men of who love men / Anne Considine