Going postal : more than 'Yes' or 'No' : one year on: writings from the marriage equality survey / edited by Quinn Eades and Son Vivienne
- Bib ID:
- [Melbourne, Victoria] : Brow Books, 2018
- viii, 265 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some colour), portraits ; 24 cm
- 9781925704112 (paperback)
- 1925704114 (paperback)
Throughout 2017 the queer and gender-diverse community of Australia undertook an incredible campaign of everyday activism around Marriage Equality. Individuals and collectives shared personal stories with their networks from social media to workplace to school playground. Tears and rage were purged often documented as poems, photos, short stories, status updates, tweets, blog posts, political cartoons, and short videos. Many were shocked at the vitriol directed at 'Yes' voters to faces, in letterboxes and online, even in 'secret' Facebook groups. By the end, many were truly exhausted. And yes, the legislation went through. Yes, more people can get married now. But many have been left wondering whether it was worth it. Many are living with the ongoing grief of having their lives and those of their loved ones up for public debate. Going Postal is two books in one: it's a celebration of the 'Yes' result, of the empowerment gained and joy felt by those directly and indirectly affected. It's also however a protest book too, one that is angry and sad due to the trauma enacted upon people.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Vote-by-mail elections -- Australia
- Same-sex marriage -- Law and legislation -- Australia
- Same-sex marriage -- Political aspects -- Australia
- Sexual minorities -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Same-sex marriage -- Australia -- Anecdotes
- Australia -- Politics and government, -- 2001-
- Australia -- History -- 21st century
- Other authors/contributors:
- Copyright Information:
- Collection copyright © Brow Books 2018 ; Individual pieces © their respective authors.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Please Help the Senate Inquiry into Marriage Equality : Australian Christians for Marriage Equality
- Love's rites : same sex marriage in India and the West / Ruth Vanita
- The same-sex unions revolution in Western democracies : international norms and domestic policy change / Kelly Kollman
- Don't mess with marriage : a pastoral letter from the Catholic Bishops of Australia to all Australians on the 'same-sex marriage' debate
- Aratana kon'in no katachi "dōseikon"