Joan Booty music archive
- Bib ID:
- Music and Manuscript
- Booty, Joan, 1914-1993, composer, former owner
- Scores, sheets, 6 photographs and 11 sound cassettes.
- Joan Booty music archive.
The collection consists of scores, sketches, note books, poetry cuttings, note sheets and photographs which belonged to Joan Booty who was connected to William and Frederick Ford and David Jones. This collection contains scores of pinao and organ music, vocal music, string quartets. It also includes musical sketches, note books, note sheets and composer's photos. Some of the handwritten music scores and parts dated from 1847 and were composed by various members of David Jones' family.
- Full contents:
- Box 1. Solo instruments (piano or organ)
- Box 2. Vocal scores
- Box 3 to Box 5. Musical sketches
- Box 6 and Box 7. String quartets
- Box 8. Poetry cuttings, note books, note sheets
- Box 9. Music score album, photographs and autiocassettes
- Box 10. Composer's manuscript scores, photo, biography and an abridged family tree
- Box 11. Composer's manuscript scores for serenade of string orchestra (18 players), draft of piano concerto and Shepherd's song (Blake).
- Title devised by cataloguer.
- Joan Booty studied piano at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music under Isador Goodman and became a very fine pianist but she turned to composition and studied under Dr Alex Burnard who greatly admired her and dedicated two compositions to her. She spent the rest of her life in relative seclusion composing. She and her siblings were the great-great-granddaughters of David Jones and his wife Jane Hall-Mander. Her great-grandmother, Clarissa Jones married Frederick Ford in 1851. Frederick and his brother William ran a printery in George Street and published the music of Isaac Nathan, among others.
- English lyrics.
- staff notation.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2063 [Creator Date of Death + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Midday reverie [music] : for string orchestra / Robert Allworth
- Junior string orchestra suite [music] : for string orchestra / Christine Myers and Matthew Hindson
- Five pieces for viola ensembles [music] / by Michael Knopf
- Gentle giant [music] : for string orchestra / Matthew Hindson
- Unrequited voices [music] : string quartet / Gabriel Armstrong