Robert Menzies : the art of politics / Troy Bramston
- Bib ID:
- Bramston, Troy, author
- Brunswick, Victoria : Scribe Publications, 2019
- 374 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, portraits ; 23 cm
- 9781925713671 (hardback)
- 1925713679 (hardback)
Robert Menzies claimed the prime ministership in 1939 and led the nation during the early years of the war, but resigned two years later when he lost the confidence of his party. His political career seemed over, and yet he staged one of the great comebacks to forge a new political party, devise a new governing philosophy, and craft a winning electoral approach that was to make him Australia's longest-serving prime minister. The lessons Menzies learned - and the way he applied them - made him a model that every Liberal leader since has looked to for inspiration. But debate over Menzies' life and legacy has never settled. Who was Robert Menzies, what did he stand for, what did he achieve? Troy Bramston has not only researched the official record and published accounts, but has also interviewed members of Menzies' family, and his former advisers and ministers. He has also been given exclusive access to family letters, as well as to a series of interviews that Menzies gave that have never been revealed before. They are a major historical find, in which Menzies talks about his life, reflects on political events and personalities, offers political lessons, and candidly assesses his successors. Robert Menzies is the first biography in 20 years of the Liberal icon - and it contains important contemporary lessons for those who want to understand, and master, the art and science of politics.
- Includes bibliographic references (pages 351-354) and index
- Menzies, Robert, Sir, 1894-1978
- Liberal Party of Australia -- History -- 20th century
- Politicians -- Australia -- Biography
- Prime ministers -- Australia -- Biography
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 1945-1965
- Australia -- History -- 20th century
- Also Titled:
- Art of politics
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Not the bicentenniel [sic] - : (a collection of essays on Australian history, sociology and politics / by humanities and social science students at the New South Wales Institute of Technology) ; compiled by Michael J. Roache, Anne Curthoys
- Beautiful lies : Australia from Menzies to Howard / Tony Griffiths
- Beautiful lies : Australia from Kokoda to Keating / Tony Griffiths
- Profiles of power : the Prime Ministers of Australia / Graham Fricke
- Prime ministers of Australia / Parliamentary Education Office