Yuwali Nixon paints her country, Parnngurr, Western Australia, 2009 / Tobias Titz
- Bib ID:
- Titz, Tobias 1973-, photographer
- Related Online Resources:
- 1 photograph : black and white ; 36 x 57 cm, on sheet 61 x 76.4 cm
- Portraits from Marnti Warajanga, 2007-2009.
Seventeen-year-old Yuwali (Janice Nixon), and her surviving family group of about 21 women and children, were ‘brought in’ by Native Patrol Officer Walter MacDougall from Wirnpa country and settled at Jigalong in 1964. The area they were travelling, the Central Aboriginal Reserve, was in the flight path of the Woomera Rocket Range. Yuwali’s memoirs of their last pujiman [traditional] days form the basis of a gripping story in Cleared out (2005), now a film titled Contact (2009). Their relocation was for their safety, but it is clear from her account that they were frightened and suspicious, and their lives would never be the same again. She recalled that ‘We were all frightened. We told them that devilmen were after us in the motor car. We thought that the motor car was a devil. We had never seen a motor car before.’--Information from catalogue.
- Title from acquisitions documentation.
- Part of the collection: Portraits from Marnti Warajanga, 2007-2009.
- Yuwali Nixon paints her country, 2009. "Yimiri my country"--Printed on image.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia
- Copyright restrictions may apply.
- Related Records:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Charlie Coppin comments on the 1967 Referendum, South Hedland, Western Australia, 2007 / Tobias Titz
- Teddy Allen comments on the 1946 pastoral workers strike, South Hedland, Western Australia, 2009 / Tobias Titz
- Sylvia Clarke comments on the 1967 Referendum, South Hedland, Western Australia, 2007 / Tobias Titz
- Arnold Carter comments on the 1967 Referendum, South Hedland, Western Australia, 2007 / Tobias Titz
- Portraits from Marnti Warajanga, 2007-2009 / Tobias Titz