Arc of containment : Britain, the United States, and anticommunism in Southeast Asia / Wen-Qing Ngoei
- Bib ID:
- Ngoei, Wen-Qing, 1976-, author
- Ithaca, New York : Cornell University Press, 2019
- x, 254 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- 9781501716409 (hardcover ;) (alkaline paper)
- 1501716409 (hardcover ;) (alkaline paper)
- United States in the world.
"Shows how anticommunist nationalism in Southeast Asia intersected with preexisting local antipathy toward China and its diaspora, ushering the region from European-dominated colonialism to U.S. hegemony"--
- Full contents:
- Introduction : recovering the regional dimensions of U.S. policy toward Southeast Asia
- Darkest moment : the fall of Singapore and "Chinese penetration" in the domino logic of American Cold War policy
- Patriot games : how British nation-building colonialism solved "Chinese penetration" and inspired the United States
- Manifest fantasies : British-Malayan counterinsurgency and nation-building in American strategy for the world (and Vietnam)
- The best hope : Malaysia in the "wide anti-communist arc" of Southeast Asia
- The friendly kings : Southeast Asia's transition from Anglo-American predominance to U.S. hegemony
- Coda : the reverse domino effect.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Communism -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century
- Nationalism -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century
- Postcolonialism -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century
- Chinese -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asia -- Foreign relations -- United States
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asia -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain
- Great Britain
- Southeast Asia
- United States
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Introduction a la connaissance de la peninsule indochinoise
- Southeast Asia background series
- Research in international studies. Southeast Asia series
- Special monograph / Centre for Southeast Asian Studies, Northern Territory University
- Initiation a la peninsule indochinoise / [sous la direction de P.B. Lafont]