Lithium : a doctor, a drug, and a breakthrough / Walter A. Brown
- Bib ID:
- Brown, Walter Armin, author
- First edition.
- New York : Liveright Publishing Corporation, 
- xvi, 222 pages ; 25 cm
- 9781631491993 ((hardcover))
The remarkable untold story of a miracle drug, the forgotten pioneer who discovered it, and the fight to bring lithium to the masses.
The 1949 discovery of lithium as a cure for bipolar disorder is perhaps one of the most important breakthroughs of the modern era. Brown reveals two unlikely success stories: that of John Cade, the physician whose discovery would come to save an untold number of lives and launch a pharmacological revolution, and that of a miraculous metal rescued from decades of stigmatization. Following his own restless curiosity, Cade did not have to answer to an external funding source; the pharmaceutical industry had little incentive to promote a naturally occurring drug that could not be patented. Brown reveals just how close we came to passing over this extraordinary cure. -- adapted from jacket
- Full contents:
- Manic-depressive illness, a brief history
- The naturalist
- Prophylaxis rex.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 205-212) and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- A story of bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness) [electronic resource] : does this sound like you?
- Adventure into the unconscious
- Mastering bipolar disorder : an insider's guide to managing mood swings and finding balance / edited by Kerrie Eyers & Gordon Parker
- The SANE guide to bipolar disorder : a guide to bipolar disorder (manic depression)
- Bi-polar affective disorder (manic depressive psychosis) information booklet / [compiled by A. Wedge, D. Bassett]