Today in New Zealand history / Neill Atkinson, David Green, Gareth Phipps and Steve Watters
- Bib ID:
- Atkinson, Neill, author
- Updated edition.
- Dunedin, New Zealand : Exisle Publishing, 2020
- 304 pages : illustrations (some colour), portraits, facsimiles ; 28 cm
- 9781775594284 (paperback)
"Have you ever rolled your eyes and thought, 'Nothing happens in New Zealand?' Think again. For those in the know, every day on our calendar tells its own story. Today in New Zealand History reals the milestones, innovations, catastrophes, victories and quirky facts behind the dates. Inside, you'll meet the people who make up our story, from the movers, shakers and innovators like Ernest Rutherford and Edmund Hillary to the lesser known pioneers who broke barriers and changed minds, like our first ever female doctor, mayor and MP. You'll read about the tragedies that brought our nation together: from New Zealand's 'blackest day' at Passchendaele (12 October 1917) to the more recent Canterbury earthquakes, as well as the struggles that, at times, have revealed a country divided, from the British attack on Ruapekapeka Pa (11 January 1846) to anti-Springbok protests (25 July 1981). It's not all triumph and disaster, and this wouldn't be New Zealand without a healthy dose of the bizarre. From Jockey Y-fronts (16 March 1940) to the Greymouth beer boycott (29 September 1947) and a parachuting Santa (20 November 1937), you'll find plenty to delight and surprise throughout these pages." -- back cover.
- Created as a collaboration between Manatu Taonga - Ministry for Culture and Heritage and the Alexander Turnbull Library.
- First edition published in 2017.
- Includes bibliographical references (page 288) and index.
- Other authors/contributors:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Captain's log : New Zealand's maritime history / Gavin McLean
- Ghosts of Gondwana : the history of life in New Zealand / George Gibbs
- Standing in the sunshine : a history of New Zealand women since they won the vote / Sandra Coney
- Te matau a Maui : fish-hooks, fishing and fisheries in New Zealand / Chris Paulin with Mark Fenwick
- Christianity in Aotearoa : a history of church and society in New Zealand / Allan K. Davidson