Muster rolls and pay lists: Royal Engineers, 1843-1878 [microform]/ as filmed by the AJCP
- Bib ID:
- Manuscript and Microform
- Great Britain. War Office
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Canberra : Australian Joint Copying Project, [19--]
- 10 reels ; 35 mm.
- Australian Joint Copying Project part 4, WO 11.
Consists of monthly lists of units travelling to and from England for the Royal Engineers and the Royal Sappers and Miners. Includes 6th Company and detachments, Auckland, Wellington and Napier, New Zealand, 1847-1867; Levuka, Fiji, 1875-1878; 20th Company, Fremantle, 1850-1862; other detachments at South Australia, Melbourne, Fremantle and Van Diemen's Land.
Officers of the Royal Engineers were first sent to NSW and Van Diemen's Land in 1835. Small parties of Sappers & Miners were sent to WA in 1837, SA in 1839, Van Diemen's Land in 1852 and Vic in 1854 and were mainly engaged on surveying work. In 1854-1868 a party of Sappers and Miners were employed on special service with the Sydney Mint. The largest force was based in WA in 1850-1863, attached to the Convict Establishment, the officers eventually being transferred to the Public Works Dept. A company served in NZ in 1850-1867 and took a major part in the Maori Wars.
- Australian Joint Copying Project miscellaneous series PRO7180-7189
- Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-728687010
- Original held by the Public Record Office, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Surrey TW9 4DU, UK.
- Microfilm. Surrey, U.K. : Public Record Office : Available from the National Library of Australia, 1984. 10 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- List available (11 p.)
- Great Britain. War Office -- Archives
- Great Britain. Army -- Colonial forces -- New Zealand
- Great Britain. Army -- Colonial forces -- Western Australia
- Great Britain Army Royal Engineers -- Registers
- Great Britain Army Royal Sappers and Miners -- Registers
- Great Britain. War Office -- Records and correspondence
- Australia -- History, Military -- 1851-1891
- Fiji -- History, Military -- 19th century
- New Zealand -- History, Military -- 19th century
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
This belongs to the War Office records (Australian Joint Copying Project)..
This collection contains 31 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- A list of the general and field-officers, as they rank in the army [microform] : of the officers in the several regiments of horse, dragoons, and foot, on the British and Irish establishments : (to which is now added an alphabetical index) : the Royal Regiment of Artillery, and Corps of Engineers, the Irish Artillery and Engineers, and the marines on full and half pay : with the dates of their commissions, as they rank in each corps and in the army : the governors, lieutenant governors, &c. of His Majesty' [sic] garrisons at home and abroad, with their allowances : all the officers on half-pay : and a succession of colonels, with the uniforms to each regiment, from the new order for clothing, &c. : for the year 1776
- Muster books and pay lists : [W.O. 12] : general 1732-1878 [manuscript]
- The official Army list [microform] / War Office
- The monthly Army list / War Office
- The Monthly Army list