- Bib ID:
- Eighth edition.
- Sydney, New South Wales : Macquarie Dictionary Publishers, 2020
- 2 volumes (xix, 1798 pages) ; 31 cm
- 9781760556594 (hardback)
The Macquarie Dictionary Eighth Edition is nationally and internationally regarded as the standard reference on Australian English. An up-to-date account of our variety of English, it not only includes words and senses peculiar to Australian English, but also those common to the whole English-speaking world. The Eighth Edition features: a comprehensive record of English as it is used in Australia today, more than 3500 new entries such as algorithmic bias, cancel culture, deepfake, eco-anxiety, hygge, influencer, Me Too, ngangkari, single-use, social distancing, thousands of updated entries to reflect changing perspectives relating to the environment, politics, technology and the internet, illustrative phrases showing how a word is used in context, words and phrases from regional Australia, etymologies of words and phrases, extensive usage notes, foreword by Kim Scott, multi-award-winning novelist.
- Full contents:
- [Volume 1] A-K
- [Volume 2] L-Z.
- Chief editor: Alison Moore.
- Foreword by Kim Scott.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 1786-1789)
- Other authors/contributors:
- Also Titled:
- Macquarie dictionary : Australia's national dictionary
- Macquarie Australian dictionary
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Geological dictionary = Slownik geologiczny = Geologicheskii slovar = Dictionnaire de geologie = Geologisches Worterbuch / Romuald Zylka
- Macquarie : Australia's national dictionary
- Macquarie dictionary / [editor, Susan Butler]
- A dictionary of the language of Sa'a (Mala) and Ulawa, south-east Solomon Islands / by Walter G. Ivens
- Yuwaalaraay/Gamilaraay wordlist / edited by John Giacon