W.G.R. Gilfillan map collection
- Bib ID:
- Gilfillan, W. G. R., 1906-1990
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference. Not for loan.
- Scales differ.
- 1909-approximately 1986
- 777 maps : some colour.
- W.G.R. Gilfillan map collection.
William George Rucker Gilfillan studied civil engineering at the University of Melbourne and was involved in the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. From 1940 to 1946 he was employed by the South African Government, and served in the Union Defence Force. In 1951 Gilfillan was appointed an Executive Engineer in the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Authority. As Archives Officer from 1960, he undertook a great deal of research on the early history of the Snowy Mountains scheme. Gilfillan was extremely active in local government, church and cultural activities in Cooma and the Monaro region. He was particular interested in the early exploration of the Snowy Mountains by Lhotsky, Strzelecki and others. Gilfillan retired in 1971 and lived his later years in Canberra.
- The Gilfillan Collection contains 777 maps and drawings, the great majority of which are Australian. They relate to all states and mostly consist of town and district maps, road maps and touring maps produced between 1946 and 1986 by the National Roads and Motorists Association, the Royal Automobile Club, Shell and Broadbents. There are also a series of Snowy Mountains topographic maps (1958–64), maps of the proposed federal territory (1909), Canberra suburb development maps (1965–86) and Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Authority maps (1957–68).
- The overseas maps include South-East Asian navigation charts (1944–45), Asian and African maps produced by the British War Office (1922–42), maps of Europe and America produced by the National Geographic Society (1938–40) and survey maps of the Middle East and East Africa (1937–41).
- Filed with the maps are a number of engineering drawings, mainly of bridges and road culverts, dating from 1924–25.
- Title supplied by cataloguer.
- Collection published in various places by various publishers.
- Related Material:
- Related material: Papers of W. G. R. Gilfillan, 1893-1981; Located at; National Library of Australia Manuscript collection, MS 854 --
- Related material: Papers on the development of the Snowy Mountains area 1944-1965; Located at; National Library of Australia Manuscript collection, MS 861 --
- Related material: Business records, 1957-1964; Located at; National Library of Australia Manuscript collection, MS 862 --
- Related material: Records 1955-1962 Located at; National Library of Australia Manuscript collection, MS 863
- Gilfillan, W. G. R., 1906-1990 -- Map collections
- Gilfillan, W. G. R -- Archives
- Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Authority -- Maps
- City planning -- Australian Capital Territory -- Canberra -- Maps
- Roads -- Australia -- Maps
- Roads -- Africa -- Maps
- Hydroelectric power plants -- New South Wales -- Snowy Mountains -- Maps
- Water resources development -- New South Wales -- Snowy Mountains -- Maps
- Nautical charts -- Southeast Asia
- Australia -- Maps
- Australian Capital Territory -- History -- 1901-1914 -- Maps
- Australia -- Capital and capitol -- History -- 1901-1914 -- Maps
- Canberra (A.C.T.) -- History -- 1901-1914 -- Maps
- New South Wales -- Maps
- Snowy Mountains (N.S.W.) -- Maps
- Snowy Mountains Region (N.S.W.) -- Maps
- Southeast Asia -- Maps
- Asia -- Maps
- Africa -- Maps
- Africa, Eastern -- Maps
- Europe -- Maps
- United States -- Maps
- Middle East -- Maps
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- [SMA 4-inch series - reductions to 2-inch] : [New South Wales] / [Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Authority]
- Snowy Mountains attractions & activities guide [cartographic material]
- The Snowy Mountains region [cartographic material]
- Shell guide to Canberra-Snowy Mountains [cartographic material] / designed in Australia by the Shell Touring Service ; Leigh-Mardon Ltd
- Gregory's tourist map. No. 521, Snowy Mountains & Lake Eucumbene [cartographic material] / Gregory's Guides and Maps Pty. Limited