London Missionary Society map collection
- Bib ID:
- London Missionary Society
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item. MAP LMS Collection copy
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference. Not for loan.
- Scales differ.
- 34 maps : some colour.
- London Missionary Society map collection.
The London Missionary Society, founded in 1795, was a non-denominational Christian mission with strong links with the Congregationalist movement. Robert Morrison established a mission at Guangzhou (Canton) in 1807 and was later joined by William Milne and Walter Medhurst. Progress was extremely slow, even though the Chinese Government tolerated Christian missions after 1843. The first British medical missionaries, William Lockhart and Benjamin Hobson, arrived in 1838–39 and later established a hospital in Shanghai and a medical college in Beijing. By the end of the nineteenth century the main bases were at Guangzhou, Xiamen (Amoy), Shanghai, Hankou (Hankow), Beijing, Tianjin (Tientsin) and Chongqing (Chungking). In the interwar years many of the responsibilities of the mission were transferred to the Church of Christ in China, which became fully organised in 1927. The last London Missionary Society missionaries left the People’s Republic of China in 1952. Information from: https://www.nla.gov.au/selected-library-collections/london-missionary-society-collection
- Collection consists predominantly 19th century street and pictorial maps of China and Japan. Some manuscript maps, including one in watercolour. Several maps are in Chinese and some are in Japanese. Some are bilingual (MAP LMS 630 shows English, Romanised Chinese, and Chinese). Contains street plans of Beijing and Ghuangzhou, maps of China, Japan, Tokyo and Nagasaki, and several world maps. Includes a south-up oriented map.
- Title supplied by cataloguer.
- Collection published in various places by various publishers.
- MAP LMS Collection copy Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-2824284010
- In Chinese, Japanese and English.
- Related Material:
- Related material: London Missionary Society collection; Located at; National Library of Australia Asian Collections (LMS 1-677).
- Streets -- China -- Maps
- Streets -- Japan -- Maps
- World maps
- Ecclesiastical geography -- Maps
- Christian civilization -- Maps
- Beijing (China) -- Maps
- Guangzhou (China) -- Maps
- Fuzhou Shi (Fujian Sheng, China) -- Maps
- Guangdong Sheng (China) -- History -- 19th century
- Chenghai Xian (China) -- Maps
- Chaoyang Xian (Guangdong Sheng, China) -- Maps
- Huilai Xian (China) -- Maps
- Nan'ao Xian (China) -- Maps
- Tokyo (Japan) -- Maps
- Nagasaki-shi (Japan) -- Maps
- Japan -- Maps
- Time Coverage:
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 14 records.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Guangdong touring map [cartographic material] / Universal Publications Ltd
- Tourism map of Guangdong Province [cartographic material] / Cartographic Publishing House of Guangdong Province
- Guangdong sheng di tu ji / Guangdong sheng di tu chu ban she, Wuhan ce hui ke ji da xue zhi tu xi bian
- Kwangtung 1:50,000 [cartographic material] / Jun shi wei yuan hui jun ling bu lu di ce liang zong ju
- Province of Kuang-tung [cartographic material] / compiled in the Topographical Section,General Staff