Margaret Flockton : a fragrant memory / Louise Wilson
- Bib ID:
- Wilson, Louise, author
- Online Access:
- National edeposit: Onsite at National Library of Australia
- Related Online Resources:
- Access Conditions:
- National edeposit: Available onsite at national, state and territory libraries
- Mile End, South Australia : Wakefield Press, 
- 1 online resource (320 pages) : illustrations (some colour), maps, genealogical table.
In 1894, a shy young Englishwoman dazzled the art world with her first exhibited work in New South Wales. Her name was Margaret Flockton, and she would go on to become Australia's first and most celebrated professional botanical artist. Her illustrations were admired for both their scientific accuracy and their exquisite beauty. Flockton was a self-effacing artist with extraordinary output. Her paintings of Australia's wild flowers led onwards to the eucalypts, acacias and more, culminating in the creation of the international award that honours her work. With hundreds of full-colour illustrations, including many of her beautiful plates, this biography captures the essence of a remarkable woman, illustrating a life of deeds, not words.
- Full contents:
- Part one: England. English heritage ; Early life, 1861-1871 ; Wales, 1870s ; London, 1880s ; Australia calls
- Part two: Australia. Margaret leaves England, 1888 ; Outback Queensland, 1892 ; Fine artist, Sydney ; Independent publications ; Botanical illustrator ; Primary tasks at Botanic Garden ; Other botanical interests ; Reward for effort ; The Maiden connection ; Great War and beyond at Botanic Garden ; Art versus science ; Private life, 1901-1926 ; Retirement years ; Margaret's legacy ; Acknowledgments ; Notes ; Bibliography ; Index.
- First published in 2016, reprinted in 2017 and in 2021.
- Includes bibliographical references and an index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
- The art of botanical illustration : the classic illustrators and their achievements from 1550 to 1900 / Lys de Bray
- The art of botanical illustration / by Wilfrid T. Stearn ; with the assistance of William T. Stearn
- The art of botanical illustration / Wilfred Blunt and William T. Stearn
- [Botanical study] [picture] / [William Strutt]
- Flower painting / [text by] Robin Gibson