A new collection of trials for adultery, or, General history of modern gallantry and divorces : containing a variety of the most remarkable trials, heard and determined in the courts of Doctors' Commons, the King's Bench, &c. &c. for adultery, fornication, cruelty, and other criminal conversation, &c. &c. to obtain divorces or damages, from the year 1780, to the present time, including the evidence on each cause, and the correspondence between the amorous parties / by R. Gill, Esq. and a civilian of Doctors' Commons
- Bib ID:
- Gill, R, author
- Online Access:
- London : Printed for the Proprietors and sold by J. Gill, 1799-1802.
- [Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1799-1802]
- 1 online resource (2 volumes) : illustrations.
- Archives of Sexuality and Gender: Sex and Sexuality, Sixteenth to Twentieth Century.
- "The whole forming a complete history of the private lives, intrigues, and amours of many characters in the most elevated and other spheres of life; as every scene and transaction, however ridiculous, whimsical, or extraordinary, is faithfully represented by the editor, who was determined not to sacrifice truth either at the shrine of guilt or folly."
- "Taken in short hand, from the records of the courts Doctors' Commons, the Kings Bench, &c. &c. and arranged for publication, with impartial reflections upon the various cases."
- "Embellished with an elegant set of plates, representing the most striking scenes described in the work, whether humourous, ridiculous, whimsical, or amorous."
- Reproduction of the originals from British Library.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Civilian of Doctors' Commons, author
- Also Titled:
- New collection of trials for adultery
- General history of modern gallantry and divorces
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Created/Published Date is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
- Select reports of the courts of Doctors Commons, &c. Being a new and complete collection of trials for adultery, &c [electronic resource]
- Trials for adultery: or, the history of divorces. Being select trials at Doctors Commons, ... From the year 1760, to the present time. ... Taken in short-hand, by a civilian. [electronic resource]
- Trials for adultery, or, The history of divorces : being select trials at Doctors Commons for adultery, fornication, cruelty, impotence, &c. from the year 1760 to the present time : including the whole of the evidence on each cause, together with the letters, &c. that have been intercepted between the amorous parties : the whole forming a complete history of the private life, intrigues, and amours of many characters in the most elevated sphere, every scene and transaction, however ridiculous, whimsical, or extraordinary, being fairly represented, as becomes a faithful historican, who is fully determined not to sacrifice truth a the shrine of guilt and folly / taken in short-hand by a civilian
- Selection of cases from the state trials
- The world's greatest trials / by Tim Healey