Papers of Sir Frederick Chaney 1914-2002 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Chaney, Frederick Charles, 1914-2001
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference, except for Series 2 : Family correspondence which is restricted.
- 3.5 m. (6 boxes + 2 folio boxes)
The papers cover the entire span of Chaney's life. In particular, there are papers on his wartime activities and his work as Minister for the Navy, Administrator of the Northern Territory and Lord Mayor of Perth. There are photographs and newspaper clippings as well as some correspondence, transcripts and administrative material. Many of the photographs and some of the correspondence document Chaney's role in ceremonial functions including attendance at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 and a number of visits to Australia by members of the Royal family. The correspondents include John Gorton, Billy Snedden and Allen Fairhall.
The papers include letters of both Sir Frederick and Lady Chaney as well as from their children and grandchildren.
Politician, schoolteacher and pilot. Served in New Guinea and Borneo with RAAF 1941-45. Liberal Member for Perth in House of Representatives 1955-69. Minister for the Navy 1964-66. Administrator of the Northern Territory 1970-73, Lord Mayor of Perth 1978-82.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9874
- Related Material:
- Funeral service for Sir Frederick Charles Chaney held at Karrakatta Cemetery in Perth, 2001; located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 5451.
- Federal politicians
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.