Papers of Kenson Kwok, 1967-1995
- Bib ID:
- O'Brien, Justin, 1917-1996
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- [between 1967 and 1995]
- 0.03 m (1 folder)
Correspondence written by Australian artist Justin O'Brien to Kenson Kwok. Justin O'Brien was Kwok's art master at Cranbrook School, Sydney NSW in the mid 1960s prior to his retirement from teaching. The two remained friends until O'Brien's death. The two earliest communications were written to Kwok when O'Brian was in Greece, however most of the others were sent from Rome, and a few from Australia.
O'Brien was Kwok's art master at Cranbrook School, Sydney NSW in the mid-1960s, just prior to his retirement from teaching. O’Brien lived in Rome from 1967 until his death in 1996. During this time, he returned to Australia with exhibitions every two years; he is considered to be an Australian artist of enduring significance, particularly in the field of religious art O'Brien was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in the 1992 Queen's Birthday Honours for services to art. Kenson Kwok is the founding director of Singapore's Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) and The Peranakan Museum (TPM), two national museums dedicated to promoting Singaporeans' multicultural ancestry. He was born in 1949 in Sydney, Australia. His father and family relocated to Penang, Malaysia, the following year and in 1953, moved to Singapore. Kwok attended the Anglo-Chinese School from 1955 to 1962. When he turned 13, his parents sent him back to Sydney where he studied at Cranbrook School from 1963 to 1966. The School had a particularly good art department with teachers who were artists themselves, and who encouraged their students to visit art exhibitions and museums. This fed Kwok's interest. In 1972, Kwok graduated from Sydney University with a Bachelor of Architecture (Hons). In 1983, he obtained a PhD in Environmental Psychology from the School of Environmental Studies, University College London.
- Manuscript reference number: MS 10723.
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Pictures, by Austen Deans
- Le lettere di Michelangelo Buonarotti : scelte, collegate dal racconto della vita e annotate da Eugenio Treves
- Briefe und Tagebuchblatter / Hrsg. und biografisch eingefuhrt von S. D. Gallwitz
- The complete letters of Vincent Van Gogh ; with reproductions of all the drawings in the correspondence / Vincent Van Gogh
- Men and memories : recollections of William Rothenstein