Cocktails in the Bush [picture] / Ida Outhwaite
- Bib ID:
- Outhwaite, Ida Rentoul, 1888-1960
- Related Online Resources:
- ca. 1927
- 1 drawing : pen, ink and watercolour ; 42.3 x 36.1 cm.
Ida Sherbourne Rentoul Outhwaite was born in Melbourne on 9 June 1888 to Annie Isobel Rattray and John Laurence Rentoul, a Professor at the University of Melbourne. She showed artistic talent as a young child and published her first book at the age of 16. Although she never received formal training, Outhwaite published over 60 books in her lifetime and received acclaim for her whimsical pen-and-ink watercolors. In the 1920's and 30's she had numerous one-woman exhibits throughout Europe and Australia. She illustrated magazines, cards, songbooks, and advertising materials. Outhwaite illustrated a comic strip for a children's page of the Weekly Times from February 1933 until August 1939 when it was cancelled due to the start of World War II. The main character, Benjamin Bear, was a combination teddy bear and koala bear. Outhwaite died on 25 June 1960.
- Title from auction catalogue: Leonard Joel, Australia, 333 Malvern Road South Yarra, Vic. 3141, 1 May 2001, Lot 71.
- Signed with initials "I.R.O"--Lower left.
- Letters "A.G.O. des." appear in the middle on the right hand side, a reference to the artist's married name- Mrs Arthur Grenbry Outhwaite.
- Condition: good.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Copyright restrictions may apply.
- Exhibited: “Story Time: Australian Children’s Literature”, National Library of Australia, 22 August 2019 – 16 February 2020.
- Exhibited: "Treasures Gallery", National Library of Australia, 12 December 2012 - 7 July 2013.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2030 [Creator Date of Death + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.