A chain gang, convicts going to work near Sidney [i.e. Sydney], New South Wales [picture] / Edward Backhouse
- Bib ID:
- Backhouse, Edward, active 1842
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- London : Hamilton, Adams, 1843
- 1 print : etching ; 22 x 33.5 cm.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection NK3894.
- "Edwd Backhouse fs [?] 1842"--Lower left.
- Plate from: A narrative of a visit to the Australian colonies / by James Backhouse. London : Hamilton, Adams, 1843. facing pages 158.
- Caption: "A chain gang. Convicts going to work nr. Sidney N.S.Wales"
- Corrected title: "... etchings, on steel, ... at page 158, was inadvertently entitled, by the engraver, "A Chain Gang going to work, near Sidney, New South Wales," instead of "at Hobart Town, Van Diemens Land." ... originally drawn from the Hulk Chain Gang, at Hobart Town"--Reference: A narrative of a visit to the Australian colonies / James Backhouse. pages xvi-xvii.
- "[16 October 1833] Hulk Chain-gang ... employed in public works improvement on the side of Sulivans Cove ... etching copied from a work called 'Ross's Hobart Town Annual'"--Reference: A narrative of a visit to the Australian colonies / James Backhouse. pages 158.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-138467409
- Other authors/contributors:
- Backhouse, James, 1794-1869. Narrative of a visit to the Australian colonies
- Also Titled:
- Hulk chain gang going to work at Hobart Town, Van Diemens Land, ca. 1833
- Chain gang going to work at Hobart Town, Van Diemens Land, ca. 1833
- Related Records:
This belongs to the Backhouse, James, 1794-1869. A narrative of a visit to the Australian colonies.
This collection contains 18 records.
Contact us for information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Unable to determine type of work
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Tasmanian artists of the twentieth century : painters, sculptors, printmakers, and photographers, 1900-1985 / Sue Backhouse
- Hobart Town 1834 [picture] / etched by Wm Chapman from a sketch by C Wheeler
- The sky has its clouds / by Elizabeth Backhouse
- The mists came down / by Elizabeth Backhouse
- Spider orchids : the genus caladenia and its relatives in Australia / Gary Backhouse