Papers of Sir Thomas White, 1900-1992 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- White, T. W. (Thomas Walter), Sir, 1888-1957
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research. Not for loan.
- 8.80 m. (49 boxes) + 1 carton + 2 fol. boxes.
MS 9148 comprises papers documenting most aspects of Thomas White's distinguished career, including material relating to the Australian Flying Corps, 1919-1940; 6th Battalion (Royal Melbourne Regiment), 1912-1931; Member for Balaclava, 1924-1953; Minister for Trade and Customs, 1933-1938; RAAF and RAF service, 1919-1956; Minister for Air and Civil Aviation, 1949-1951; Australian High Commissioner in London, 1951-1956; writings, 1928-1956; Australian Aero Club and civil aviation, 1920-1988; Melbourne Legacy Club, 1924-1957; Royal Flying Doctor Service, 1927-1983; British Empire Service League, 1953-1957; and, Royal Empire Society, 1938-1958. The collection includes diaries, photographs, reports, broadcasts, speeches, cutting books, official correspondence, letters from family and friends, together with ephemeral items such as brochures, invitations and programs (36 boxes, 1 carton, 2 fol. boxes).
The Acc00.185 instalment comprises diaries, correspondence, photographs, cuttings, files on White's military career and writings, mementoes, souvenirs and early school records (8 boxes).
The Acc04.050 instalment comprises letters, cuttings, a cutting book, certificates, photographs and a manuscript of Guests of the unspeakable (5 boxes).
Pilot, politician, diplomat and writer. Thomas Walter White served as Minister for Trade and Customs in the Lyons Cabinet, 1933-1938, and as Minister for Air and Civil Aviation in the Menzies Government, 1949-1951. He married Vera Deakin (youngest daughter of Alfred Deakin) in 1922, published the best-selling Guests of the unspeakable in 1928, and was Australian High Commissioner in London between 1951 and 1956.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9148, MS Acc00.185, MS Acc04.050.
- Associated materials: Poem and medal of Sir Thomas White, 1937, 1956 at MS 3074.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in the Special Collections Reading Room and online.
- White, T. W. (Thomas Walter), Sir, 1888-1957 -- Archives
- Australia. Royal Australian Air Force -- Officers -- Archives
- Australian Aero Club
- Melbourne Legacy
- Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia
- Royal Life Saving Society - Australia
- Politicians -- Australia -- Archives
- Diplomats -- Australia -- Archives
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century -- Archives
- Diplomatic and consular service, Australian -- Great Britain
- Australia -- Officials and employees -- Archives
- Australia -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Australia
- Australia -- Politics and government
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.