A new & accurate map of China [cartographic material] : drawn from surveys made by Jesuit missionaries by order of the Emperor : the whole being regulated by numerous astronomical observations / by Eman. Bowen
- Bib ID:
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Scale [1:8,945,000] (E 92°--E 130°/N 44°--N 16°)
- [London : Printed for W. Innys and others, 1747]
- 1 map : col. ; 32.8 x 40.4 cm.
- Braga special map collection.
- Map of China showing its provinces but without clear boundaries and including to the west the Kingdom of Tibet & Mogols of Kokonor stretching to the Kingdom of Corea [i.e. Korea] in the east. The map also includes the Isle of Hay Nan [i.e. Hainan] and the island of Taewan (or Formosa). Bowen has gone to considerable trouble to indicate the major river systems with a considerable degree of accuracy, though elaborate details of physical features in Tibet are largely conjectural'. The cartouche portrays a walled city with an elaborate pagoda. In the foreground a mandarin dispensing justice is identifiable by his dress and headgear, thus pointing out that, unlike other newly discovered lands, this distant and unknown country was civilised and had a highly developed system of justice. A modest compass rose is also shown. Relief is shown pictorially.
- Cartouche title.
- At head of map: Longitude from Peking.
- At foot of map: Longitude from London.
- Text reviewing the history of European cartography of China by Jesuit missionaries from 1708-1717 is included and entitled: Advertisement
- At bottom left corner of sheet: No. 41.
- Map no. 41 from: A complete system of geography / by Emanuel Bowen. London : Printed for W. Innys [and others], 1747.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-231220211
- China -- Maps -- Early works to 1800
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767. Complete system of geography
- Related Records:
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- A new & accurate map of the known world [cartographic material] : drawn from the latest & most authentic surveys, assisted by the best & most approved modern maps, charts &c. wherein all the discoveries & improve[men]ts are carefully delineated, the whole being regulated by astron[omica]l observations / by Eman. Bowen
- A new & accurate chart of the World ... observations ... experienced navigators about the year 1744 [cartographic material] / by Eman. Bowen Geographer to his Majesty
- A new and accurate map of the East Jndia Jslands [cartographic material] : laid down according to the latest discoveries, and agreeable to the most approved maps and charts, the whole being regulated by astron.l observations / by Eman: Bowen
- A complete system of geography. : Being a description of all the countries, islands, cities, chief towns, harbours, lakes, and rivers, mountains, mines &c. of the known world
- Oxford Shire divided into its Hundreds containing the city, borough & market towns, forests, hills, rivers, roads & distances [cartographic material] / by Eman: Bowen, Geogr. to His Majesty