Barry McDonald interviewed by Edgar Waters [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- McDonald, Barry, 1955-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research; written permission required for public use during the lifetime of the interviewee.
- 1992 Sept. 17
- 1 sound tape reel (ca. 61 min.) : analog, 7 1/2 ips, 2 track, stereo. ; 10 in.
McDonald speaks of his interest in folklore in the New England Region after moving there from Sydney at age 21, how his interest in music had been fostered by his family as his mother was very musical and he had played contemporary music with his sister as a child, how he undertook history and economic history particularly at University of New England which encourage d a study of history from the grassroots using techniques such as oral history, how he had lived next to Russell Ward who assisted him in his early endeavours, how he had obtained his first collection of local folk songs, how he had met Chris Sullivan and Mark Rummery at the local folk club operating in Armidale since 1979, how he started collecting with a tape recorder after assisting them to record Charlie Batchelor, how he was introduced to Jim Lowe of Guyra,
Barry McDonald, school teacher and folklorist of the New England Region, N.S.W.
- Recorded on Sept 17, 1992.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia ;
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Uncorrected transcript (typescript, 24 leaves)
- Other authors/contributors:
- Waters, Edgar, 1925-2008, interviewer
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2062 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Alex Hood interviewed by Edgar Waters [sound recording]
- Danny Spooner interviewed by Ann Turner [sound recording]
- Chris Woodland interviewed by Keith McKenry [sound recording]
- Unidentified persons interviewed by Declan Affley in the Declan Affley folklore collection [sound recording]
- Alex Hood interviewed by Keith McKenry [sound recording]