Correspondence of Sir Joseph Banks, 1st Baronet (as filmed by the AJCP) [microform] : [M469], 1773-1815
- Bib ID:
- Manuscript and Microform
- Banks, Joseph, 1743-1820
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference.
- Canberra : Australian Joint Copying Project, [19--]
- 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
Correspondence comprising about 300 letters addressed to Banks mainly in his capacity as President of the Royal Society. The principal correspondents are Sir Charles Blagden 1773-1805, Jonas Dryander 1782-1802, James Mario Matra 1779, 1791, Dr Daniel Solander 1773-81, Dr. James Lind 1775-95, Dr William Richardson 1803-05, Erasmus Darwin 1781-82, the Geological Society of London 1809-10, W.H. Yate 1802 and Lord Monboddo 1780, 1783. The letters largely relate to botanical matters but also concern personal matters. There is also a folder of letters with enclosures, c. 1783, sent to Banks relating to mermaids. The reel also contains an extract from the Atheaneum, 26 Dec. 1796, commenting on the publication of Banks' Endeavour journal.
Botanist and patron.
- Filmed as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project by the National Library of Australia and the State Library of New South Wales.
- National Library of Australia holds microfilm master.
- Australian Joint Copying Project miscellaneous series M469.
- Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-770249221
- Microfilm copy of originals held by Fitzwilliam Museum, Trumpington Street, Canbridge, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; A651 (Rev. 1)
- Australian Joint Copying Project handbook. Part 8 : Miscellaneous [M series], Entry 7.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available.
- Detailed description in Mander-Jones, p. 397.
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
This belongs to the Miscellaneous Series (Australian Joint Copying Project)..
This collection contains 521 records.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Cannot determine publication date because this record has an open range of dates
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Autograph letters of biologists and geologists [microform] : [M2709], 1843-1933
- Letters [ABC 4], 1950-1955 [microform]
- Papers of the Pickering Family (as filmed by the AJCP) [microform] : [M1579], 1850-1864
- Location register of twentieth-century English literary manuscripts and letters : a union list of papers of modern English, Irish, Scottish, and Welsh authors in the British Isles
- Heysen to Heysen : selected letters of Hans Heysen and Nora Heysen / edited and introduced by Catherine Speck