Charters of Chertsey Abbey / edited by S.E. Kelly
- Bib ID:
- First edition.
- Oxford : Published for the British Academy by Oxford University Press, 2015
- xxi, 194 pages : maps ; 24 cm.
- 9780197265567 (hardcover)
- 0197265561 (hardcover)
- Anglo-Saxon charters ; 19.
This is the first complete modern edition of the early charters of Chertsey Abbey in Surrey, one of the most important of the English medieval monasteries, and one which appears to have had a nearly continuous existence from its seventh-century foundation until it was surrendered to Henry VIII's commissioners in 1537. The pre-Conquest archive is fairly small and has a poor reputation; indeed, the majority of the sixteen extant charters are obvious fabrications (which have their own importance in throwing light on the later medieval history of the house). But the archive does contain ancient documents of enormous interest: a charter which has claims to be the earliest surviving Anglo-Saxon diploma; a seventh-century episcopal charter; a diploma of King Aethelred 'the Unready' which adds to the evidence about the development of London around the year 1000; and an authentic writ of Edward the Confessor, again referring to London. In this volume all the extant diplomas are expertly edited, with extensive commentaries on their content and implications. A thorough introduction comprises a new synthesis of Chertsey's early history, discussion of the history of the archive and of the later medieval background to the fabrication of the purportedly early documents, and painstaking analysis of the history of the landed endowment. This volume also includes editions of four papal privileges said to have been obtained on the monastery's behalf in the Anglo-Saxon period, of which two or perhaps three are genuine or have a genuine basis.
- Text in English, Old English and Latin; with translations into English from Old English and Latin.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages xi-xxi) and indexes.
- Other authors/contributors:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Chertsey Abbey cartularies, volume II, part I: being the second portion of the Cartulary in the Public Record Office
- Chertsey cartularies, volume II, part 2: being extracts from British Museum Lansdowne MS. 435 and the Clifford Cartulary, together with index to volume II
- Cartulary, 1312-1345 [microform]
- Draft of a supplemental charter for the Hudson's Bay Company [microform]
- Vizeliacensia II : textes relatifs a l'histoire de l'abbaye de Vezelay / edites par R.B.C. Huygens