Papers of Pietro Baracchi, 1888-1973 [bulk 1888-1925] [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Baracchi, Pietro, 1851-
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research.
- 28 cm. (2 boxes) + 1 folio.
Papers relating to the personal and public life of Baracchi include diaries, scientific notes, records of field trips, photographs and pamphlets. The diaries are of his retirement trip to Europe (1922-1925), a diary kept at the meeting of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science in Sydney (1898), a diary relating to the astronomical observatory at Mt Stromlo (1911-1913), notes on Baracchi's tours of Victoria, notes of his reading on astronomy including Halley's Comet, and notes relating to his son Guido, including his imprisonment. The formal and informal portraits are mainly of Pietro and his son Guido and their families.
Astronomer. Born in Italy in 1851 and came to Australia in 1876. Appointed Victorian Government Astronomer in 1900 and for many years was president of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science. Selected Mt Stromlo as the site for the Australian Observatory in 1911. Baracchi was best known as the official weather forecaster for the colony.
- Manuscript reference no. : MS 8913.
- Related Material:
- His son Guido Baracchi's papers are held by the National Library at MS 5241.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- List available (6 p.).
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Baracchi, Guido, 1887-1975
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Papers of Guido Baracchi, 1882-1970 [manuscript]
- Literary manuscripts and correspondence 1964-1976 [manuscript]
- Victorian meteorological statistics based on all available records obtained at 1,046 official stations from January, 1856, to December, 1907 / prepared under the direction of Pietro Baracchi
- The stars on the ensign of the Australian Commonwealth / by Pietro Baracchi
- Papers of Jessie Street, 1888-1958