Harry Lui interviewed by William Kepa and Murray Lui in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Lui, Harry, 1982-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2007 Sept. 23
- 1 sound file (ca. 6 min.)
- Torres Strait songs project.
Harry Lui of Warraber Island, Qld., speaks about his first memory of music; playing the drums at primary school on Yam Island; playing at feasts; dancing for cultural festivals on Thursday island and at school; learning music and dance from grandparents, family and the community; the songs and dances being about the sea, land, warriors and pearling days of his ancestors; playing guitar, bass, keyboards and drums; making maraps (bamboo clappers); as the old people die, traditions are lost; how culture is important for the identity among Islanders; the Torres Strait Regional Authority music and dance project; liking and writing gospel songs; wanting to learn more about lugger songs, so he can incorporate into his new songs.
- Recorded on September 23, 2007 on Warraber Island, Qld.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Lui, Harry, 1982- -- Interviews
- Torres Strait Regional Authority
- Composers -- Queensland -- Interviews
- Lyricists -- Queensland -- Interviews
- Torres Strait Islanders -- Queensland -- Interviews
- Songs -- Queensland -- Torres Strait Islands
- Dance -- Queensland -- Torres Strait Islands
- Torres Strait Islands (Qld.) -- Social life and customs
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2077 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Gaetano Lui Junior interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ned David interviewed by William Kepa and Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Kris Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ted Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]