Ted Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Billy, Ted, 1957-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2007 Sept. 26
- 1 sound file (ca. 25 min.)
- Torres Strait songs project.
Ted Billy has lived on Warraber Island all his life. He talks about his first memories of music and dance at school; Torres Strait Islander (TSI) birthday and weddings parties; dances and celebrations for school; learning music and dance from his parents who were role models for the TSI culture; his uncles and community leaders role in teaching TSI culture; the stories told in songs being mostly about the environment; lugger songs; singing bringing joy, keeping him in contact with the story within a song and why it was written; songs bringing healing via spiritual contact with nature; songs being written mostly by men; church music; women singing songs; playing the warup drum and guitar; his love of music.
Billy discusses the Islanders learning to sing, dance and play instruments; skills being handed down; how the music and dance has changed over the years, mainly due to kids leaving the island for school; the loss of language having a big impact; understanding kala lagaw ya language but not being able to speak it well; the Torres Strait Regional Authority music and dance project helping to preserve culture; encouraging Elders to share their knowledge; the role of Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP) to encourage preservation of cultural knowledge; the studio recording and being pleased with the finished product; being glad for opportunity to document cultural knowledge for future generations.
Ted Billy, is a Torres Strait islander who is a employee of the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service, the current Chairperson of the Island Council and a singer-songwriter.
- Recorded on September 26, 2007 on Warraber Island, Qld.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- The interview is conducted in English and Torres Strait Creole.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2077 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Gaetano Lui Junior interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ned David interviewed by William Kepa and Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Roy Kebisu interviewed by Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Harry Lui interviewed by William Kepa and Murray Lui in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]