Roy Kebisu interviewed by Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Kebisu, Roy, 1962-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2007 Sept. 16
- 1 sound file (ca. 17 min.)
- Torres Strait songs project.
Roy Thomas Kebisu, born and raised on Yam-Iama Island, Qld., speaks about being a descendant of King Kebisu from Warrior (Tudu) Island; the family move to Yam from Tudu; seeing uncles and aunts singing and dancing; how singing is important to the community; songs about the sea and luggers; learning to sing in church; his formal training in school; the school song; attending St. Augustine's a boarding school in Cairns; keeping up his culture when living on mainland, tombstone openings etc.; men's songs being about working [luggers], the wind, gardening, rain; women's songs, also about work; men composing songs, even, women's songs; the songs used at special events; his feelings when singing language hymns; watching and being coached by elders; making maraps [bamboo clappers used for dances]; the council's opinion on this project, 'gaining our culture back and preserving it for the younger ones'; Torres Strait Islanders in the production crew; himself as a soloist singer of Kores; his interest in the process of multitrack recording.
Roy Kebisu is the Deputy Council Chairman on Yam-Iama Island, Queensland.
- Recorded on September 16, 2007 on Yam Island, Qld.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Interview conducted in English and Torres Strait Island creole.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Neuenfeldt, Karl William, 1947-, interviewer
- Related Records:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2077 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Gaetano Lui Junior interviewed by Aggie Hankin in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Ned David interviewed by William Kepa and Karl Neuenfeldt in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Harry Lui interviewed by William Kepa and Murray Lui in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]
- Kris Billy interviewed by William Kepa in the Torres Strait songs project [sound recording]